Friday, February 11, 2011

Here's me, trying to save money again!

Okay.  My husband has had a guitar and decided he wanted to take a class up on campus.  I scavenged DI for a guitar case for days with no luck.  I couldn't afford a hard case from the music store.  SO, I did what any self respecting poor college student wife would do and I MADE ONE MYSELF!  What?! You can DO that?  Yeah....you can do just about anything if you are desperate enough.

So how did I do it?

1) I took 10 dollars and went to the DI
2) I got one of those ugly vinyl tablecloths in the "as is" section. Ya know, they have that fuzzy white stuff on the back?  I had to make sure it was big enough to fold in half and still trace a guitar on it.
3) I got some fabric by the curtains and blankets.  It wasn't much prettier than the sunny flowery vinyl table cloth, but a little more manly.  This can be any fabric big enough to trace the guitar twice, plus a little extra for straps and a pocket. 

4) Now I needed something for a zipper, and it needed to be long enough for a guitar to fit in easily.  I scored a duffel bag with those compression zipper things.  I ripped that sucker right out and it was 48 inches long!  I was also able to use the woven straps to anchor my straps to the case.  YAY! I had more than half a duffel bag left over, so I harvested the zippers for later(or flowers :) and used the canvas-ish body to back some baby bibs. 

Ok. So I took my fabric and my table cloth and traced the guitar.  I added 3 1/2  inches to accommodate for the width of the guitar body and for seams and cut out two sets of the guitar: front and back of both the table cloth and the fabric.  If you are braver than me you can just add 1 inch to the traced guitar and then put a strip of fabric between the sides that is equal to the height of your guitar(plus seam allowances).

Once everything was cut out I sewed one table cloth piece to one fabric piece: white fuzzy side out, then did the same with the other side.  I didn't sew them wrong sides together and turn or anything, because I would be sewing it to the other side anyway.  Once you have two individual sides, sew on a pocket to the front(if you want) and straps to the back.  I did mine like backpack straps and used the straps from the duffel back to make them good and sturdy. 

Next I sewed my two sides of the case together(wrong sides together this time) except where I wanted the zipper to be.  Since mine was going to be a backpack type case I put the zipper on the side instead of the bottom, so the weight of the guitar wasn't sitting all on the zipper.  Once I had the other seams done, I sewed in the zipper.  I don't really feel qualified explaining that process, I had to go get help.  But there are tutorials on YouTube.

This is how I did the pocket:
I traced a music book onto the fold of my fabric.  I added a little wiggle room, and then I added enough room on the back part to make a flap to fold over and button down.  I sewed up the sides(wrong side together), flipped it right side out, and hemmed the flap and put a button hole in it.  Then I sewed it on to the case.  I only sewed the bottom and sides, making 2 pockets.  The front one was the one with the flap.
And here it is!
Wow. That's actually a horrid picture. BUT I'm too lazy to fix it today and I need to get off the couch and get something done.  So, there ya go!

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I didn't know you could DO that!


    -Zay

    Also, it might be cool to link to the tutorial you used, in case any of the rest of us want to tackle the same project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't use any tutorials! This was all me, I'm afraid. A neighbor helped me pin the zipper, that was all

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kimber
    My apologies, I misunderstood.
    Also, that makes this even more impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is amazing! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it you are one talented mamma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is so impressive. Thanks for linking up to Simply Step Back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! thanks for linking up to Craft Couture Monday :). Would love it if you added my button or a text link back to the party so other people can join in :). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your guitar case is ALOT nicer than the over priced cases sold in the music stores! Fantastic job! It's amazing what "we" can come up with when lack of funds forces us to create what ever items we may need. I'm sure your husband must be proud to use the "gift" you made for him. Bravo! ;)

    ReplyDelete